Listings are provided free of charge as a service to our members and to employing institutions. The chapter cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of the material. Ads will run for two months unless or until word is received that a given position has been filled. Please submit the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Institution name and address
Contact email and phone
Job description and instrument details
St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church
St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church in Troy, NY is seeking an organist for a Sunday 9 am Mass.
Duties would include preparing a weekly music schedule. This position could involve more services as time goes including other weekend liturgies as well as weddings and funerals; but only if the individual is open to doing more.
Please contact the Pastor Fr. Joseph Phuong Ngo, O. Carm at: 518-274-6720.
DIRECTOR OF MUSIC and ORGANIST – Part-Time
The Church of ST. MARY-ST. JOSEPH and OUR LADY OF MT. CARMEL
This is a parish consisting of three separate campuses, one of which is essentially closed except for occasional funerals. The Sunday Mass schedule at the two active churches is as follows:
Vigil: 4:00 PM (English) – Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church
7:30 AM (English) – St. Mary’s Church (no music)
9:30 AM (English) – St. Mary’s Church (Youth Choir, every 1st & 3rd Sunday of the month; Adult Choir, every 2nd , 4th & 5th Sunday)
9:30 AM (Polish, every 3rd Sunday of the Month) – Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church
10:45 AM (English) – Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church
12:00 PM (Spanish) – St. Mary’s Church
The candidate must report to the pastor, submit proposed music for the month at least a month in advance and fully execute the Pastor’s music directives; plan, prepare; direct, and ensure music is provided for Masses and other Liturgies and events, which include Holy Days of Obligation; Holy Week Liturgies; Parish Patronal Feasts/Solemnities; First Holy Communion, Confirmation; Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament with Exposition and Benediction; Weddings, Funerals, Memorial Masses; Quinceañeras; and other special Liturgies; as well as Concerts and Recitals including a Christmas Pageant, and Lessons and Carols. (The organ must be used at all liturgies with music.)
Choir rehearsals: Youth choir Tuesdays at 7:30 PM, Adult choir Mondays at 6:30 PM, Spanish choir Sundays at 11:00 AM.
St. Mary’s Church has an Allen Renaissance Quantum organ, 2-manuals and MIDI, about 13 years old. Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church has a 1980’s vintage Allen 2-manual organ with card reader. St. Joseph’s (which is rarely used) has an antique Hammond Model D, with tone cabinets, dating from 1939. All three instruments are in good condition; the maintenance of these and all other instruments used in the parish, is the responsibility of the candidate.
The successful candidate will report to the Pastor, submit proposed music for the month for approval at least a month in advance, and fully execute Pastor’s music directives. The candidate will also coordinate and work with fellow Parish employees and volunteers; develop youth choir, adult choir, schola, music ensemble; solicit accomplished cantors, organists, other musicians; maintain instruments; and engage and maintain a visible presence at staff meetings, parish events, etc. Qualifications include exceptional ability to play the organ, thorough knowledge of the traditional music of the Catholic church and Catholic liturgy, and commitment to the spiritual mission of the parish.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Three weeks paid vacation. Weddings, Funerals/Memorial Masses, Quinceañeras are compensated separately.
Candidates should submit the following: Cover Letter; Curriculum Vitae; sample recordings (website links accepted); sample programs, proposed list of hymns, and other written work; and a list of three references (priest, professional musician, employer, etc.) Candidates should submit the following: Cover Letter; Curriculum Vitae; sample recordings (website links accepted); sample programs, proposed list of hymns, and other written work; and a list of three references (priest, professional musician, employer, etc.)
For a complete job description, click here.
The Church of St. Mary-St. Joseph and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, 231 Church Street,
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 ATTN: MUSIC SEARCH
Email: D526@archny.org SUBJECT HEADING: MUSIC SEARCH 3/12/2022
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Clifton Park, NY
Contact: email@example.com 518-371-2226
REPORTS TO: Pastors and Worship Team
The Music Director will perform duties as the organist/pianist in support of
worship services, direct the adult choir and support the youth choir as
needed. Through the gift of music, communicate a spiritual message to
the congregation. Must be an accomplished pianist and capable of
playing the organ. Must prepare musical pieces in advance of worship
services to help stimulate participation from congregants.
• Guide the Music and Worship team relating to the musical involvement
within the ministries of our Church community.
• Flexible schedule to support special services throughout the year to
include Lent and Advent services, etc.
• Lead selection of music throughout the year to fit with the Litugical
• Prepare and annual budget request
• Recruit, organize and direct the adult choir through the months of
September through May.
• Lead weekly rehearsal session with the adult choir. Attend pre-service
prayer and lead warm up session.
• Organize special music in support of Holy Week-Easter and Advent-
• Select inspiring music to support the Church calendar.
• Assist the youth choir as necessary
• Be prepared to play the organ/piano at the one or two regularly scheduled
traditional church worship services each Sunday as well as special
services that are scheduled throughout the year.
• Maintain music and equipment as necessary.
• Participate as available in additional services such as weddings and
• Wear appropriate attire.
• Display an attitude of excellence to bring glory to God, and encourage the
• Work with the worship team chairperson as he or she responds to the
congregation’s needs and the leading of the Holy Spirit regarding worship
• Model principles of worship to the congregation.
• Inform the worship team director in advance of any anticipated absences
from rehearsals or services.
Estimated Time requirements
This is a salaried, part time position. Most weeks between music
selection, personal practice, choir rehearsal and standard Sunday
performances the time requirement will be about 15 hours. There will be
occasion during the Easter and Advent seasons where the required time
will be closer to 20 hours per week. Similar to weeks that might involve a
wedding, funeral or other special event.
Qualifications, skills, and gifts
• Experience in music selection relating to church calendar.
• Experience and/or education in music performance, choir direction and
leadership of volunteers
• A commitment to serve according to Purpose, Mission, Vision and Value
Statements of Prince of Peace.
• Passion for seeing people drawn closer to God through the overall
worship ministry of the church.
• Sensitivity for meeting the needs of the congregation.
• Ability to respond appropriately to critical comments about worship from
worshipers who may dislike particular musical choices, style, etc.
• Gifts of effective communication, leadership, and compassionate
Authorized to act upon delegation of the Pastors or Church Council on
matters pertaining to assigned responsibilities within constraints of law,
Rules and Regulations of the Church, and budgetary guidelines. Not
authorized to act upon those matters specifically withheld by immediate
• Report on a regular basis on matters within the assigned areas of
responsibility to the Pastors and Church Council.
• Report to the Pastors through staff meetings, quarterly to the Church
Council and annually to the congregation through the Annual Report.
Pastoral Associate for Liturgy and Director of Music
St. Matthew’s Church
St. Matthew’s is seeking a full-time Music Director. This position in collaboration with the Pastor is responsible for liturgical planning and providing music for parish liturgies and celebrations. Candidate should be an active Roman Catholic; possess a degree in music or training comparable to a degree and experience with Church music; musical skills necessary for playing organ and piano. Person should have knowledge of Roman Catholic liturgy including the liturgical year, the Lectionary and rituals for the sacraments, funerals and weddings. Have the ability to direct the choir; recruit, train and support these parish ministers of music. May be required to produce worship aids used at every liturgy. Position is available after April 1, 2022.
Interested persons are invited to submit a resume or contact:
Our Redeemer Lutheran Church
103 S Reynolds St
Scotia, NY 12302
Organist/Pianist for worship services at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church. Pipe organ experience is helpful but not required. About 65 service days a year (Sundays and mid-week). Music director also accompanies and directs the choir, selects anthems & hymns, and should attend Worship and Music meetings.
General Description and Purpose: The Music Director should be trained as both an organist and pianist, as the majority of our services are traditional Lutheran liturgically based services. The Music Director leads the music ministry of Our Redeemer Lutheran Church. This includes working with the Pastor, staff, and lay leaders to develop a well-rounded music ministry for worship services and special events. The Music Director is accountable to the Pastor and Church Council. The Music Director also relates to the Worship & Music Committee, the Christian Education Committee, and the Administrative Assistant.
- A high degree of technical proficiency in playing the organ and piano.
- Experience playing hymns, accompanying choirs, sight-reading.
- Strong team player with the rest of the staff and congregation.
- Supportive of the church’s vision, mission, leadership, and people.
- Willingness to participate in non-traditional music (keyboard desirable).
- Familiarity with music technology and recording.
- Facilitate effective musical leadership for all worship services.
- Direct the Adult Choir, Sunday School singers, and chimers.
- Encourage church members’ participation in the music ministry of the church by recruiting and organizing volunteer soloists, instrumentalists, and others.
- Choose hymns and other music, consulting with the Pastor and Worship & Music Trustee to plan for worship services, especially for scheduling and selection of special music.
- Work with the Sunday School staff to select music and schedule times for the children to participate in the musical portions of Sunday worship as well as collaborate in the Children’s Christmas Program.
- Work with the Administrative Assistant and the Pastor to ensure accurate information is printed in the worship bulletin and other printed materials. When appropriate, supply information for the church newsletter.
- Ensure that the music library of the church is maintained and the purchase of new materials as required.
- Monitor copyright restrictions, ensure appropriate licensing is maintained and report usage to One License.
- Prepare appropriate music for special services such as Easter and Christmas.
- Attend meetings of the Worship & Music Committee and Congregation Council meetings when appropriate.
- Participate actively in budget planning for the music ministry with the Worship & Music Trustee.
- Ensure the proper maintenance of musical instruments, keeping them in good playing condition with the support of the Pastor, Worship & Music Committee and Administrative Assistant.
- Open to new and developing musical ministries as appropriate.
Inquiries to Pastor May at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church at 518-393-5031.
Church of the Cross
129 Champlain Ave., Ticonderoga, NY 12883
To provide music for a weekly 10AM Sunday Service
Music to include Prelude, Postlude, and accompaniment for hymns as well as other music during the service
To provide music for Christmas Eve Service, usually scheduled for 4PM
This position will report to the Rector
Time required is estimated to be 2 hours per week
Salary is flexible
Reply to: email@example.com
This lovely 1885 church has a small dynamic parish. Our organist of 40 years retired and due to COVID we have not tried to replace her.
Now we are praying that a music student or retired musician would be willing to bring music and joy to our parish. We hope to find someone who would love to play our 1902 Tracker Pipe Organ. We also have a Clavinova.
Our church parish follows COVID recommendations to keep everyone safe.
Minister of Music
First Congregational Church
4 Main St., Stockbridge, MA 01262
The First Congregational Church of Stockbridge, MA, seeks an organist-choirmaster to lead and coordinate the music programs of the congregation. Primary duties include organist/pianist and senior choir director for Sunday services, coordination of volunteer directors of a bell choir and a children’s choir, engagement of other talented members of the congregation, planning of a 3-4 concert series in our sanctuary for the larger community by other artists in the area, along with directing or coordinating other music programs or events that may be developed.
The congregation is the second oldest Congregational church in Berkshire County, a culturally rich and popular area of Western MA. We are an open and affirming congregation of approximately 200 members which supports a sanctuary with a two-manual updated Johnson pipe organ and a 1907 Steinway B piano, along with a 3-octave set of Schmulerich handbells and a Yamaha concert grand piano in the fellowship hall. The senior choir numbers approximately 14 singers with three being paid section leaders.
The Minister of Music works under the direction of the Pastor in planning Sunday worship and with the advice and assistance of a lay Board of Music. The hours are approximately one-third time with commensurate compensation and benefits, to be negotiated depending on actual hours and qualifications. For further information and/or to apply for this position contact Will Garrison, Office Administrator, office@stockbridgeUCC.org or 413-298-3137. Qualifications will be reviewed beginning January 1, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.
Christ Church of the Hills
4809 Mariaville Road
Schenectady, NY 12306
Contact Linda Scheuer at 518-346-1900
DIRECTOR and ORGANIST
St. Joseph’s in Fort Edward and St. Mary’s/St. Paul’s in Hudson Falls
St. Joseph’s in Fort Edward New York and St. Mary’s/St. Paul’s
church in Hudson Falls (we are affiliated thru the same Reverend Thomas Babiuch)
is in search of a music director and organist.
Contact Suzie at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 518-747-5117 – Monday thru Friday 9 am to 1 pm.
St. Peter’s Episcopal Church
200 Pleasant St, Bennington, VT 05201
St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Bennington, VT (stpetersvt.org) is looking for a part-time Music Minister who is up to the multiple challenges of integrating music with worship in the time of pandemic and its eventual aftermath. This is a quarter-time (8-10 hours/week) position that calls on creativity, adaptability and ability to work well with a team of lay people and clergy to craft worship that is engaging and meaningful to all.
As part of the ministry team, the Music Minister is someone who can inspire people along their faith journeys through music and who can nurture a love and appreciation of musical talent among everyone. Our anchor for worship music has been the 1982 Hymnal, but we are open to other sources.
St Peter’s is a small congregation in the midst of significant change and renewal, transitioning from full-time clergy leadership to a team made up of part-time clergy and laypeople. The restrictions imposed by Covid-19 mean that we have been worshiping online (via Zoom and Facebook Live) and outdoors. We like music to be a regular part of our worship, but need help in making it happen. We are looking for someone who can also work collaboratively with an open-minded Worship Team.
Currently, while unable to gather indoors for worship, we are looking for someone who can:
• Develop a cohort of musicians to perform either vocally and/or instrumentally within the limitations of Zoom gathering and Covid-19 safety protocols;
• Develop web-based resources, including the possibility of video, for use during worship, with special musical offerings by resident musicians or guests for major feast days; and
• Gather our musical talent twice a year for fellowship and celebration.
We anticipate that worship will not fully return to its pre-pandemic form once Covid-19 has passed, so we are looking for someone adaptable to the needs of the day. The traditional duties include:
• Selecting and accompanying all music for one weekly Sunday worship service, special worship services, and other events in conjunction with the Worship Team;
• Directing an adult choir of five to ten singers of varying levels of musical skill from September through mid-June with a weekly evening rehearsal;
• Arranging for guest musicians and soloists during the summer months;
• Playing and arranging maintenance of a 13-rank, two-manual Hook/Estey pipe organ and three Baldwin pianos;
• Maintaining the music library; and
• Nurturing new talents and voices.
We are looking for someone with:
• Some familiarity with Christian worship and of Episcopal liturgical and musical traditions;
• An understanding and commitment to the role of music in liturgy;
• An ability to work in a mixed context of live, pre-recorded, in-person and online worship;
• The inclination to be a teacher and mentor to people of all ages and abilities; and
• Good interpersonal skills, the ability to work collaboratively and to prioritize their time.
For more information about St. Peter’s, visit stpetersvt.org or call 802-442-2911.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to our Church Office at email@example.com.